Cartridge filters typically use up to four cylindrical accordion pleated filters to trap anything larger than 30 microns, traditionally offering a higher filtration level than media filters. However, this option can come with some extra costs and maintenance.
- No need for backwashing, no backwash line is required
- Generally requires less space for installation
- As no backwashing is required, requires less water for maintenance, more environmentally friendly than other kinds of filters
- Unlike other filters, there’s no provision for back washing; when the cartridge is clogged, it must be removed for cleaning
- Needs to be disassembled and cleaned
- Cartridges may need to be replaced more regularly than filter media, depending on level of use and care
“Cartridge filters traditionally offer a higher filtration level than media filters”